Optimal Productivity Zone (OPZ)
Whenever I get the urge to do something creative, whether it be making art, cooking, writing, coding, making graphics and designing, there is a ritual I follow to allow myself to get into the optimal productivity zone, or (OPZ). The optimal productivity zone is the perfect place to be: ideas are flowing, I am completely focused on the project, I am working towards the ideas that I have, and things are getting done. Creativity has spawned and I am riding the wave, it’s awesome!
Getting With OPZ
First and foremost, getting into the optimal productivity zone involves clearing my head of all other thoughts, worries, and distractions. Sometimes this happens by process of cleaning my house, my desk, organizing the stuff on my computer desktop and making sure I have everything I need, along with some nice music to get me in the mood, or sometimes silence is golden. If I am making art, it involves rearranging all my paint colors in a perfect order so that when the inspiration hits, I will be ready.
When You’re Stuck
Sometimes it is harder to get into the zone than other times, sometimes it is effortless. This is dependent on what I have going on at any given moment, the tasks that need to be done, the projects I have coming up, and the clutter that fills my head with unfinished ideas. At some point, I must abandon all ideas, reset and refocus. Since it is sometimes difficult to get into OPZ, I decided to write about some simple methods for catapulting myself back into OPZ when I am getting stuck in the way of myself.
Five Tools for Getting into OPZ
- Rituals. Rituals seem to happen almost automatically and prepare you to get into the zone. Do not discount their importance!
- Research. Feeling uninspired? Research the internet and find some inspiration. No shortage of ideas there.
- Relax. Meditate. Pray. Summon the spirits, do a rain dance, the main idea is to ask for direction.
- Recreation. Do something completely unrelated for the purpose of having fun. Playing a video game is one way. Some people enjoy going to the gym. Find your play thing and do it often.
- Remount. If you fall of your horse, just get right back up and carry on where you were.
It’s Your Turn…
How do you get into OPZ? What are your rituals? How do you get back up on your horse? What does your Optimal Productivity Zone look like, and how can you tap into it? Leave a reply on this post with your comments.